Skip to main content

Sole Mère (Unique Mother)

“What are you doing up there??” she said. I was standing up on a short ladder leaning on the long book shelf that I had designed a year ago, searching for a book.
“I’m looking for a book”, I said.
“Ok, whatever. How come you’re up so early today??”
“Early, it’s 10:30”
“Oh yeah, considering the fact that you wake up at 2 in the afternoon usually”
“People change dear. How come you’re here??”
“Your sis asked me to check on you for a couple of days. So I’m here”
I got down the ladder, holding a copy of a Gabriel Garcia Marquez classic to experience magic realism of his stories. I sat on the chair, placed opposite to the book shelf, as she stayed right beside it.
 “Do you need some breakfast??” she said.
“No. But I would love a cup of coffee, if you don’t mind”
“I’m here for you; you can ask me anything for the next couple of days”
She brought coffee in a few minutes. I placed the book next to me on the handle, bending the corner of the page and took the cup from her hand. I took it in my fingers, as it left hers. She sat in front of me on the table.
“How do you feel now??” she asked with a bit of concern.
“I haven’t gone out of this house for almost a month. Haven’t had haircuts or a shave for the past two months. First time I feel like doing something. I think I’m feeling better”
I took a sip. She had a flat smile, her lips spread across. She was looking out.
“You look different today. There is kind of a glow in your face. I don’t know whether it’s the weather or something, you’re looking good today”, I said.
“Thank you”, as the flatness of her smile turned normal.
“That’s the smile men try to achieve, that’s the most beautiful one; momentary happiness”
“Yeah, whatever”
“Let’s go for a walk. The lanes in our colony are pretty much filled with silence and the beauty of nature”
“That’s a bit too much. Anyways you’re suggesting going for a walk, after almost a month… C’mon let’s go”
***

Grey skies, with the sun throwing its rays out in between the cloud. The ground below me was wet, the trees, the bushes were all wet. The rain had stopped long ago, but its presence was felt.
“ We, men we try to understand the opposite sex, learn about them, get to know them, impress them, woe them, have a relationship with them… and we do it because that’s a part of life, and if we don’t do any of the above; Life would be incomplete”, I said.
“Yeah, that’s a nice thought. I can say the same things from my perspective”
“It’s something right, god creates a species and separates them giving them different mindsets, different designs and mechanisms. He puts us in this world to exist in harmony”
“Only god knows what he did a few million years ago”
“You might have been one of the first girl’s who gave me a clearer picture of women. I did learn a lot from you” I looked at her with a smile.” Talking to you was something I loved. Our discussions were productive, fun and always ended up with us looking back and realizing, ‘Did we actually talk about this’”
“Yeah that’s true”, she laughed.”Those were crazy times”
“Let’s go to the beach. I’ll drive”
“You’ll drive huh. After staying one month inside without any contact with the outside world or unaware of the changes and now all of a sudden, you’re out for a walk and you wanna drive. One thing at a time and by the way I have to go to school to serve lunch”
“What?? You think I’ve forgotten how to drive?? It’s something I’ll always love. Do you think a person will forget how to have sex, it’s just like that”, I said looking at her.
She hit me on my back, with a slight push.
“How are the kids, by the way??” I asked her.
“They’re fine”
“What are their names?? I keep forgetting”
“Sahan and Kashaf”
“I love that name, Kashaf. Can I come to the school with you… maybe drive?”
“No driving. But if you want you can come with me. It’s time now to head back”
We turned and started walking towards home. She was walking quickly as I walked with my usual pace.
“How’s Anurag?? Is he fine with you taking care of me??” I ask her.
“He’s more worried about you, than I am. He’s fine. You need to take care of yourself you know”, she said turning back.
“Why should I, when I have you and my sister”, I said winking at her.
***
She was seated on the driver’s seat, as I gave her instructions as she brought the car back slowly. It was out of the parking spot and then she slowly turned left and out of the gate. I closed the gate, the creaky sound due to the rains and the rust on the joints made me realize the long month I just had. I ran towards the car and got in. The radio was playing, with RJ’s making some funny quotes and asking weird questions.
“RJ’s haven’t changed, huh??” I asked her.
“Obiviou… you have been in only for a month not a year”, she said with a laugh.
“You really don’t trust my driving huh??”
“I used to”
“Now that hurts a lot. The whole ‘used to’ concept. Used to be friends, used to be married, something that really hurts”
“Enough, enough. Please could you hold that Tiffin which is in the back?? In order to avoid leakage or spillage inside”
“Ok sure. Which class your kids are in, by the way??”
“Kashaf in 5th and Sahan in 3rd
“They go to Canara right???”
“Yup, you’re school”
“Cool, it’s been ages since the last time I was there”
***
I was wearing my half pants, a grey T-shirt that I loved and Ray ban glasses. There were kids all around, running to their parents. Their parent’s questioning them about their first session, and their kids naively explaining everything irrespective of whether good or bad occurred because of them (especially the girls) and some guys running around and changing the topic as the parent’s try to figure out what happened. It was almost after a month, I saw Kashaf and Sahan. Kashaf looked just like her mother; it was just like the way she looked back in high school. Sahan too had his mother’s qualities more in him, and they were fighting against each other on some issue which she was listening carefully to, as I looked around, thinking of the old days.
“Say hi to your uncle Preston”, she said as the two kids raised their hands gesturing ‘hi’ and a soft voice depicting the gesture.
I smiled and said “Hi”. I looked around, lot of changes had occurred, new building, new garden. There was no Krishna Mandir in the middle of the school, which I loved. I walked around hoping that some teacher I knew would cross my path.
“Preston, come here. Open this”, she called me.
“Yeah”
“Open this”
“Hmm… smells nice. Hope you’ve cooked the same back home for me. I opened the tiffin”
“Uncle, why did mommy cook for you”, asked Kashaf in her sweet voice.
“Because I don’t know to cook, dear and your mommy is a great cook”, I said bending down to her.
“Hey Anasya, does that thing work on these kids. Where I hug you and say you’re my mommy or you’re mine and the kids come attacking at me or cry by saying ‘No, she’s my mom only’”
“No that won’t work obviously, they’re in school now and by the way you’ve done this a lot and they did kick your ass badly then”
“Ok”, I smiled at her thinking about the stupid question I had just asked.
The kids were eating and she kept asking them some spellings, tables and correcting them if they were wrong. I was taken back to my days at school, it was nostalgic. Sitting in a room with my friends, they’re moms and discussing the exams, the things we did in class. And now looking at a person my age doing that, life’s gone ahead a lot.
***
“Looking at you as a mother, a good one it feels nice”, my eyes were wet. She hugged me, a drop of tear made its journey from my eyes down the cheeks. My phone rang at that instant. It was from the doctor.
“Hello…”
***

We stood outside a room, with a glass wall. We were overlooking a group of babies on the other side of the wall.
“If you had a choice between pregnancy and adoption, what would you choose??” I asked her.
“That’s not a question. Pregnancy is a gift for women whereas adoption is an alternate route if there are complications. But I still prefer my own child”
“C’mon there are so many orphans in this world. Pregnancy has a span of 9 months, your body changes, so many complications in general. Additional complications in some cases, and we men have nothing to do than just wait for the moment to become a father”
“As I said it’s a gift”
“We had a fight, when the doctor mentioned to us about the complication. I wanted to save her. She wanted the baby, sounding just like way you are right now. She convinced me at last, and then a month before her actual pregnancy date, she had lot of pain and it ended being a premature delivery and me losing her forever. The thing I always worried was losing people in my life, and by that I mean not death but the relationship with the individual. I’m happy that she didn’t hate me when she was in her last stages, she was proud of me. Now I realize I was wrong about the whole losing relationship, now I realize there is loss by death too. Even you for that matter, the relationship I had with you since college days, I always worried losing that, by my foolishness but I was able to hold on to you. She always wanted to be a mother, and she was for 8 months, she took care of the baby within her. And now I’m a father who had a emotional breakdown a few minutes ago, hasn’t come out of his house for a month and first few weeks going through a bad phase”, drops of tear followed in a line down to the earth as she hugged me. I never thought a year of marriage would change me this much. I wouldn’t worry about anyone, other than me. Now I have a daughter, crying over the loss of my wife and my friend taking care of me.
***
“I never thought I would see you like this. The conversations we would have back in our college days, crazy discussions and our friends teasing us”, she was trying to cheer me up. I was feeling better than earlier.
“You know the reason I didn't want to marry you. It’s just because I loved the relationship I had with you, more than you and I didn't wanna change that”, I said to her looking into her eyes.
She smiled. The smile showed the trust, the respect she had for me.
“Could you take care of her for me??” I asked her.
“What??”
“For a year, maybe… Do you really think I can take care of her now?? Anurag won’t mind, I know him really well”
“I know he won’t mind. But I already have two kids and looking after them I get tired”
“They go to school and I’m asking you this only because you live two houses next to me and you’re the one woman I can trust right now with my daughter. You even have a good sense of names, I love the name Kashaf. Give her a beautiful name just like that and I’ll always be there. I don’t know how to take care of a kid, you have experienced two. She’ll even have a brother and a sister as she grow up”, I looked at her. She was silent, looking down, thinking. I had never seen her think so much.
“Ok”, she said.” I’ll take care of her”
“Thank you. I’ll get back to work tomorrow, I’m not just a 30 year old asshole anymore, I’m a father”, I smiled at her, lying down on my chair looking up and closing my eyes. “Yeah you have a daughter now”, she said patting my thighs.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Dream!!!....

I trip on the stairs, and I wake up…, it’s around 2 in the morning and I was dreaming. Mom’s calling my cell, the alarm is ringing…its 6, I go down, get on with the usual processes and trying to recall the dream. I remember bits and pieces of it, and I discuss it with myself, it was Kashmir right, I was attending some marriage and someone was there… forget that its 6:30...you are late… and I get ready, and I leave to college…still thinking. I’m in the bus, listening to the latest bollywood tracks… still discussing about the dream. I reach college, and make my walk towards class… and I go and sit in my usual place… in the middle row. Two classes go by, some parts interesting, and most of them boring. In the recess, we get to know that the next class is cancelled… and I had almost forgotten the dream… Until the group of girls in the first two benches to the left of me were listening eagerly to a story that one of them was telling… “I was in Kashmir walking in the streets with y

From Kashmir to Chickmagalore...

I was sitting in front of our house in Chickmagalore, and I was with my better half sitting on a wooden swing  and we were talking. “Are we running away from our day to day life??” she asks me sounding perplexed. “Why do you think so… this is life, we are living it the way we want to, Life isn’t just going to work, coming back home, watching TV and sleeping and continuing the above process… right, we need to take breaks and live it the way we want to” I replied. “Ok ok, you and your philosophies of life…Mein toh chup hi betungi”, she says. “C’mon, how can we discover new things about each other, if you keep quiet, my dear!!” I wink at her. “Ok, you are trying to say that we retire and settle here forever??” “No, we have chosen jobs where we can’t retire. I’m a writer, you are doctor. I’m just saying we need these breaks, so we can know new things about each other” “Ok, Mr.Rohan we have been married for the past 30 years and you still don’t know things about me… Tum kehn

A Glass of Wine and Long Island Iced Tea

I kept staring at the chandelier, the way it reflected it’s light all across the hall. A few more chandeliers in the room doing what exactly the one above me was doing, but I didn’t bother about the rest. It was like how in a Bollywood number, we look at the actor or the actress rather than the background dancers who are doing the same steps. I had a glass of wine with me and was trying to get the smell of it and move the glass around, just to make others feel that , ‘I knew my wine’. But trust me I had no idea. The color of wine shined in the presence of the chandelier which was the reason I noticed it at the first place. Looking over at the crowd that was dining a top notch dinner, I was waiting for a special person and our table to be ready. Right then, a girl in a wine red cocktail dress, a high pony and black stilettos just walked past by me as I kept sipping my wine. She sat couple of seats ahead of me and moved the strands of her hair behind her ears, waiting for her table,