Skip to main content

Cinema, je' taime

Iranian, إيراني

One thing about Iranian films is there’s always something in it that I connect with. It’s generally the little things, little problems, a certain conservative nature of it that we’ve come across growing up. One man who captures it perfectly is Asghar Farhadi. Ever since watching A Separation, the drama that takes you into a journey of a couple, their lives, the little things of it and ending on an open note, like he does in all his films. Making the audience part of his process, putting a question for us to answer- So this week, when I sat down to watch About Elly, a movie where a group of friends go on a road trip, one among them being Elly who isn’t well known to most of them. The way down the line, things get messier and complicated over a certain event that occurs. Again the little things that I mentioned of earlier- a scene where they play dumb charades, the way they tease one of the characters with Elly and then comes a most beautiful and honest line as they’re driving around town- “A bitter end is much better than a bitterness without ending”, as she explains her relationship. And at the end, again the question that even if our intentions are true, genuine and honest, the way it can all go down south, things go wrong in worst unimaginable way and the guilt, a person feels over the decisions they’ve taken is Farhadi’s exploration telling this story.

Japanese, 日本語

Ulidavaru Kandante is the sole reason for being introduced to the world of Kurosawa- when I found out it being referred to a certain film by the name ‘Rashomon’, which ends up being one of the best movies with the treatment of perspectives of an event, the stories we tell- including a testimony of a ghost. And the way it’s being narrated on a rainy day and then the way it ends on a note that only can be watched and not written off. So this week, another Kurosawa classic, Seven Samurai- A village being attacked by bandits, to protect the villagers go in search of Samurai’s to protect. Into the cinema, into the world he takes you on a three and half hour journey from the scouting of Samurai’s to the final battle, the way each and every character changes, the thoughts, the villagers, certain ideologies that change with the time that peace is restored in the village, the way they triumph over. And the way, victory is defined at the end- I still can’t believe the way they shot the film, the way they did in ’54.
Now, the only two things that come to my mind when I think of Japan is Kurosawa and Miyazaki- Both creating their own worlds, even though one doesn’t have real people when it’s on screen both of them, present a story that has a lot of heart in them. . I wish I could meet both of them- Kurosawa in my dreams and Miyazaki in his dream world. Also recently being introduced to Murakami and his world of dreams and surrealness, was a great delight to read South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Mexican, mexicano

Cuaron and Inarritu are the names I’m most familiar with this, when I talk about Mexican Cinema. Y Tu Mama Tambien by Cuaron is an experience that cannot be explained in words. But this weekend was about- Amores Perros, three stories collide in an accident and as we take a deeper look into the stories that collide, we question love that exists in all forms and the way it takes a dark turn in situations as humans take decisions that end up in consequences that finally collide at a point. You just need to watch it, for the characters in the story and the dogs in it. Inarittu, who was created Birdman and Revenant- here, is a story that has a different soul of its own that can’t be missed.  

French, français

I haven’t watched a lot of French Classics, only one being The 400 Blows which blew my mind. Of the ones I’ve watched, I’ve managed to fall in love with Marion Cotillard. With Little White Lies, Jeux d’enfants- two completely different stories; one of them dealing with a dysfunctional family on a vacation and the other dealing with exploration of love, evergreen through the challenges they give each other as a dare. But this weekend was a deeper, darker trip down into prison life, through A Prophet.  Survival, Power, Decisions, Actions, Consequences and at the end of it all, person we come face to face with- a changed man, good or bad or grey leaning towards black or white- is a never ending question that only time in prison could define, the walls of prison could speak of.

Italian, italiano

Next on list is La Dolce Vita. Love Fellini. Love 8 ½.  Love I, Vitteloni. Love L’Avventura, even if it isn’t Fellini.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Dream!!!....

I trip on the stairs, and I wake up…, it’s around 2 in the morning and I was dreaming. Mom’s calling my cell, the alarm is ringing…its 6, I go down, get on with the usual processes and trying to recall the dream. I remember bits and pieces of it, and I discuss it with myself, it was Kashmir right, I was attending some marriage and someone was there… forget that its 6:30...you are late… and I get ready, and I leave to college…still thinking. I’m in the bus, listening to the latest bollywood tracks… still discussing about the dream. I reach college, and make my walk towards class… and I go and sit in my usual place… in the middle row. Two classes go by, some parts interesting, and most of them boring. In the recess, we get to know that the next class is cancelled… and I had almost forgotten the dream… Until the group of girls in the first two benches to the left of me were listening eagerly to a story that one of them was telling… “I was in Kashmir walking in the streets with y

From Kashmir to Chickmagalore...

I was sitting in front of our house in Chickmagalore, and I was with my better half sitting on a wooden swing  and we were talking. “Are we running away from our day to day life??” she asks me sounding perplexed. “Why do you think so… this is life, we are living it the way we want to, Life isn’t just going to work, coming back home, watching TV and sleeping and continuing the above process… right, we need to take breaks and live it the way we want to” I replied. “Ok ok, you and your philosophies of life…Mein toh chup hi betungi”, she says. “C’mon, how can we discover new things about each other, if you keep quiet, my dear!!” I wink at her. “Ok, you are trying to say that we retire and settle here forever??” “No, we have chosen jobs where we can’t retire. I’m a writer, you are doctor. I’m just saying we need these breaks, so we can know new things about each other” “Ok, Mr.Rohan we have been married for the past 30 years and you still don’t know things about me… Tum kehn

A Glass of Wine and Long Island Iced Tea

I kept staring at the chandelier, the way it reflected it’s light all across the hall. A few more chandeliers in the room doing what exactly the one above me was doing, but I didn’t bother about the rest. It was like how in a Bollywood number, we look at the actor or the actress rather than the background dancers who are doing the same steps. I had a glass of wine with me and was trying to get the smell of it and move the glass around, just to make others feel that , ‘I knew my wine’. But trust me I had no idea. The color of wine shined in the presence of the chandelier which was the reason I noticed it at the first place. Looking over at the crowd that was dining a top notch dinner, I was waiting for a special person and our table to be ready. Right then, a girl in a wine red cocktail dress, a high pony and black stilettos just walked past by me as I kept sipping my wine. She sat couple of seats ahead of me and moved the strands of her hair behind her ears, waiting for her table,